Every year the FAA requires commercial airport staff and personnel to fulfill the training requirements for an airport wildlife biologist conducting wildlife hazard assessments under Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 139 and FAA Advisory Circular 150/5200-36A. In non-technical terms the FAA mandates that required airport staff complete an 8-hour training class on wildlife hazard management and wildlife identification. After completing this course annually your airport staff will receive the necessary certificates of completion. When selecting a company to train your staff here are 5 -things to look for when choosing your P-139 Wildlife Training vendor.
1) Wildlife Hazard Management Plan Review: Having a qualified airport wildlife biologist evaluate and update your WHMP benefits both the airport manager and the airport staff. Your vendor should be requesting a copy of your WHMP to review and find any changes or updates that need to be made or suggestions on action items that need more attention.
2) Customized Training Curriculum: Often our new clients outsource their training to us at Loomacres Wildlife Management because their current vendor has been teaching the same topics the same way for years. Choosing a vendor that customizes their curriculum and training seminar based on your airports WHMP, strike history for the past 10 years, and new hazards and wildlife attractants that may be outside the airport fences is crucial. Let’s be honest, your staff will like this too and benefit greatly.
3) Virtual Training Options: With Covid-19 changing everything, the FAA granted certain companies to perform Part 139 Airport Wildlife Trainings virtually to ensure the safety of everyone. Over the past 18 months virtually training has been an adjustment but extremely efficient. This also comes in handy when a new hire starts and needs to attend a training to become certified and trained for wildlife hazard management duties on your airport. It is also a luxury to complete your training from the comfort of your office, home, or airport conference room.
4) Firearm & Pyrotechnic Safety Training: Having an NRA Certified instructor provide your staff with onsite (Local Gun Range) firearm training is important on a few levels. Having peace of mind that your staff is trained on how to properly handle a firearm, accuracy training, and safety should be on the top of your list. This also goes for training your staff on how to properly use pyrotechnics in the field by having your instructor do live onsite demonstrations.
5) Advanced Airport Management & BASH Training: These multi day courses that are in person with airport staff and airport managers from all over the country will focus on advanced wildlife management techniques for airports. This class is broken up into classroom seminars, Q&A with industry experts, and extensive hands-on training for the following topics.
At Loomacres Wildlife Management our Airport Certified Wildlife Biologist that provide our clients with virtual or in person training classes pride themselves on the above-mentioned items you should be looking for when selecting a vendor. We believe our training and training staff is the most up to date and advanced training in the industry. Don’t believe us? Click Here to see what our clients have said. If you would like to speak with a biologist or to learn more about our training program, please fill out the contact fields below or click on the link to our website.
Loomacres - 800-243-1462 Bringing Wildlife Management to a Higher Level ©